In this article we show you how to prepare this classic and elegant meal, capable of combining the best of two worlds, the vegetable and the animal. Are you ready to surprise your diners?
First, a little history
Artichokes are a delicious combination between salty and sweet, and have been a staple in Mediterranean cuisine since at least the 15th century, when they began to be used not only for food, but also for medicinal purposes, especially for digestive and kidney ailments. , and hepatic among others. The artichoke is a vegetable that has a long history. It comes from the Cynara plant, already known to the Greeks and Romans, who gave it aphrodisiac powers. During the Middle Ages, it is when horticulturists little by little transform the plant, to get what we finally know, the artichoke.
Some data of interest and to the task
The best thing about artichokes is the heart, which is packed with nutrients like phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. It's also high in fiber and antioxidants, and it tastes amazing!
So far all very interesting, but what is the best way to eat them? We have an easy recipe: boil them with Iberian ham. You will have the most Iberian flavor while enjoying the benefits of this delicious vegetable. We show you how it is done: It is a very simple dish that will allow you to serve a pleasant starter in the blink of an eye.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- Iberian ham (50g)
- Artichokes (4)
- onion (1)
- Garlic clove (1)
- White wine (15ml)
- Broth from cooking artichokes (15 ml)
Let's go with the steps
This recipe is not only delicious, but it is also easy to make.
1) Begin by removing the outermost leaves, dragging downwards until you reach the most tender part, the heart.
2) Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut off the tip of the artichoke.
3) Then, we remove the base of the leaves and cut half of the stem, so that it does not fall apart when cooking;
4) Boil them in salted water until tender (approx. 15min). You will know that they are done when you can remove the central leaves and feel that they come out easily;
5) Drain and cool the artichokes, then put them on a plate;
6) In a pan put finely chopped garlic and onion. And let it poach over low heat;
7) Cut the artichokes in half and toast them in the pan that you had previously prepared, until they are golden;
8) Add a slice of Iberian ham on top. We advise that the ham be of good quality, and for this we recommend, of course, our 100% Iberico Bellota ham packed in glass , which helps to maintain its flavor and texture, something that plastic does not;
9) Add the white wine and the artichoke cooking broth. Raise the heat to bring to a boil.
And you will have them ready. You just need to plate and enjoy.
Surely, with this recipe, you will make many change their opinion about artichokes.